A Brief History of Saint Margaret of Antioch Church
The. foundation stone for this building was laid by the Bishop of New York, Henry Codman Potter, on May 27, 1891. Prior to this building, and beginning in 1858, services were held in the chapel across the street, now the Staatsburg Library. That building was built by Mrs. Margaret Lewis Livingston, the mother of Mrs. Lydia Hoyt and was used by several religious groups in the village. The parish is named for St. Margaret of Antioch.
The present church, completed in 1892, was designed by the noted architect, Richard Mitchell Upjohn, and is regarded as one of his best efforts. The corner stone contains a Bible, the Book of Common Prayer, the Church Hymnal, the New York Tribune, the Poughkeepsie Eagle and a copy of the history of the parish. The stone was quarried near Staatsburg. The original members and benefactors of the church were the leading families in the village and the owners of the large river estates.
St. Margaret’s has a very special Chapman tracker organ. Installed in 1895 by its builder, the organ was completely renovated in 1985.
St. Margaret’s is especially noted for its stained glass. The origin of some of the windows is still uncertain to this day. There are two windows on the south side toward the west which are believed to be from the 13th to 16th century. The windows consist of three panels each, the four darker panels with blue predominating are from Chartres Cathedral and contain four figures of Apostles: two being St. Peter with keys, one of St. Paul with the sword, and the fourth, St. Bartholomew. The panels represent a period of the 12th century. The remaining two panels in silver stain represent a period of the early 16th century and were originally installed in the beautiful church of Notre Dame de Brou, France.
These windows were the gift of Ogden Mills of Staatsburg. His son, Ogden L. Mills, was a member of the Vestry of St Margaret’s and was a Secretary of the Treasury of the United States.
Since the advent of the automobile, the closing of the railroad station, the loss of the Estate families, and the re-routing of Route 9 around the village, life in Staatsburg has changed considerably. However, St. Margaret’s church remains a central part of the life of the village of Staatsburg Eucharist services are conducted every Sunday at 10:00 a.m. (9:30 a.m. in the summer). All are welcome.
More information about the creation of St. Margaret’s can be found in the following article.
Link to “The Churchman” article